Monday, 27 April 2015

Anything but not everything

Six months ago the opportunity came up to job share a position I have been wanting to do for probably 10 years now. A six month position where I took leave from my job and get to return after six months away - hopefully better skilled .

Gold panning in the local river


I knew when I accepted it would be a juggle, the reason I had not done it sooner was our family didn't want to shift for just 6 months and going away for a full time job seemed impossible .  The 6 month stint is almost up and while I've loved the work the balance in my life has suffered. The saying -" you can do anything but not everything " is ringing true.

 


A few weeks ago I pulled out my winter work clothes  where I discovered , to my horror that while my trouser do up - just- they are so uncomfortably tight I can't really wear them.  Exercise has been scant and too many takeaway meals. I mulled over this for a while thought about diets and extreme exercise plans - then I read This blog - the body image movement - and I went out and purchased a comfortable stretch pair of work trousers. ( I put the tight ones up high on a shelf in my wardrobe - sure when I return to routine my body will return to its former self in good time.)

Crafting has also come to a grinding holt but this weekend - a 3 day weekend because of ANZAC day - I made a floor mat for our neighbours baby. We baked ANZAC biscuits.





Only when I started going through the pictures I took of it I realised I didn't get one spread out the mat - there were 6 wide 20cm strips of colour I stitched together for the top.

It hasn't been all work, we did go on an Easter trip to the West coast of NZ , tramped, gathered shells on wild beaches and ate plenty of chocolate.

We also went to Dunedin in the school holidays and visited all the museums, we went twice to the Chinese gardens - Georgie loved the zodiac treasure hunt, feeding the carp and the tea shop with steamed red bean buns.






Our garden, despite it's wilderness state, has produced a late flush of Autumn blueberries and strawberries. As well as garden taming I have a few projects in mind for my own wardrobe when I get back in the groove.

No comments: