Thursday, 16 May 2013

Step away from that pattern

Sometimes I make things I know I shouldn't : case in point is Simplicity 2147.



I wanted a tunic - something I can throw on with tights and in winter with a long sleeved top under it - simple and easy. I may have been looking at too many Japanese sewing books with this style and cute tunics. I should have known better - cute on the 25 yr old models with no bust does not look so good on the over 40 mother. I liked the look of the green dress on the top left.  But those pleats across the bust - alarm bells should have rung. I did a quick trawl of flickr and saw several versions I liked. A few had taken the pleats out of the back as found it too full and some wore it belted and I thought it looked pretty good. I really wanted to try the Lisette Portfolio tunic ( Simplicity 2245) but could not get a copy in my size and I wanted to make it now! So I thought I would give this pattern a try.

I didn't want to buy new fabric so chose a soft green cotton with a white floral print from my stash. I did wonder about the drape and thought something in a rayon may have been better - I should have stepped away from the pattern but no I decided to make it.

 
The result on me - a green sack, not cute , not flattering. And the arms -like little wings they are ( that may be the 2 layers of fabric with my modification below) So I tried it with a belt:
 
 
Now I look like Robin Hood, accentuated by the bust - again - not good.
 
Good points - an easy pattern to sew and even though I modified it a bit by putting a full lining in the top yoke it was still really quick. If you have a small bust and very soft light fabric then yes this pattern may work for you.  Like I said I have seen some versions that looked good on flickr. You may still want to take some of the fullness out of the back though as even with no pleats it has plenty of room. Also I measured up a full size bigger than I ended up making - its a roomy fit if you go by the size you measure on the pattern . Will I make it again - no, will I wear this - no . Fabric is destined to become a child's skirt I think.
 
I am thinking I will end up making a Tova  dress by Wiksten, I have made 2 shirts here
 and here . Yes it has a few gathers on the bust but it hangs a lot better than it looks in the photos. So I am thinking a dress version in denim or a winter wool may be the way to go.

3 comments:

Carie said...

There is a touch of Sherwood Forest about it certainly - you could always knock up a pointy hat and claim to be really organised for Halloween or hold a fancy dress party!

threadmark.co.nz said...

Robin Hood . . . bhah hah hah hah! Not laughing at you, promise. Laughing with you. And know the pain of going to the effort of making something only to be disappointed. Case in point: contrasting yoke trousers. No woman needs a contrasting band of colour across her widest part. Lesson learnt.

Tracy said...

It is hard when vision and reality don't coincide. At least you are clear about what it is that isn't working and have a back up plan for the fabric!