Monday, 3 December 2012

Cranky

At some point in December I always end up feeling really cranky
 
On top of the whole xmas thing we have 2 birthdays in our house and I always feel as if I have some impending deadline. ( self imposed "to do" list before Dec 31st).
 
This year I have cut myself some slack - I'm not going to try to do the whole handmade gift thing this year  and my siblings and I are opting for a relaxed family BBQ for xmas day.
 
This last weekend was pretty busy:
 
Friday night - fun girls night out starting with tapas in a local bar ( 2am bedtime!)
Sat - early start to a Christmas Fete with girl friends a 2 hour drive each way - good fun despite pouring rain. I got home in time to go to pick up Georgie from a Birthday party at 5pm - as I walked in the door the father of the birthday girl greeted me with a glass of champagne and a cheese platter - oooh like their style!
Sunday morning I woke at 7am to a friends text - I had forgotten I had offered to help with a fund raiser Garage sale - so I leapt out of bed and went around to her house.  11 am I got home in time to take Georgie to a family fun day with crafts and luge rides etc.
 
Now for some silly reason I decided this was a good time to buy new shoes for Georgie since we were in town. We were both seriously cranky( she was on a post cookie decorating sugar high and I was just plain in need of caffeine) - she spent most of the shoe shopping experience either lying on the floor or leaping around the shop.  Eventually we walked out with a pair of shoes that were even in a half price sale = slightly less cranky mummy.  But really what was I thinking going shoe shopping with tired child.
 
You'd think I learn but after all this I had promised Georgie we would do todays activity from the activity "make xmas biscuits" when we got home. Actually this was a pretty good wind down for the day and we made these cute biscuits (cookies).
 

Ginger bread recipe with icing snowflakes made using a snowflake cutter - super easy and looks effective.
 
Yes  I did finish the advent calender:


Each day has a card in the pocket:

 
In the laundry cupboard was a new xmas DVD.
 
I have tried to mix up the days with making and giving things and a few pockets have little gifts, things like stickers and a treasure hunt to find a  xmas book .
 
Some advent ideas from ours are:
Go gold panning (easy local activity)
Go to the Museum
Take a day trip ( am planning something like a trip on a local steamship or similar)
Make paper snowflakes
Make xmas cards
Go on a bike trip
Wrap xmas presents
Write a letter to Santa
Watch a xmas DVD
Read a xmas book
Do something nice for someone ( am planning on cooking something and giving to neighbours)
Take a present for your teacher ( this is for last day of school)
 
Georgie loves getting up and reading the card each day, it is also helping speed up the getting ready for school process as she needs to be dressed and ready before she checks the card.  Don't you love 5 year olds - so honest - even though the cards are all there she never looks before the correct day.
 
 
 
 

No comments: