Saturday, 24 November 2012

Winning Toys

Georgie's room has become over run with toys in the last month or so.  We moved some of her toys out of the lounge when I shifted her art table and ever since I have been tripping over boxes of toys in her room.
Derek had been muttering about the mess for a few weeks, but that's from a man whose garage looks like this:

 
so I took that with a grain of salt! ( note pile of banana boxes top right are mine - he does not have a big stash of old blankets.)
 
So we emptied Georgie's room of all her toys
 
mmm - reality check here - there were a lot of toys for 1 child, behind those pink crates is a smaller row of boxes filled to the brim with little toys.
 
We had had a talk over breakfast about giving away or donating toys we no longer use and she was actually really good about deciding which toys she would part with.  A few she asked for a final play with first and then later put in the out pile. A friend of mine is having a fundraiser garage sale for a little boy with leukaemia so we will take most of them to that.
 
We ended up with a size able out pile
 
 
And a much tidier room

Under the bed there are 2 pink boxes - one with soft toys and the other with dolls and dolls clothes. A dolls bed and dress up clothes are also in her room.  Puzzles and art supplies live in the sideboard in our lounge.

It's a good reminder pre xmas to avoid excess consumerism.  I know I've been guilty of buying way too much stuff for her in previous years. 

Winning Toys that I do rate and would recommend are
1. Wooden blocks
2. Dolls house ( just saw these totally amazing ones on felt.co.nz scroll down to see dolls house)
3. Plastic animals ( I think Schleich animals although expensive are worth buying as they are much more solid and seem pretty much indestructible while the cheaper ones fall over and bits seem to get bitten off them etc. I used to suggest them as gift ideas and we got one or two new ones for long plane trips and gradually built up a set)
4. Dolls and dolls clothes - interestingly most of the kids that play with ours prefer the bigger older dolls I got off trademe or in thrift shops. I think it's because they are easier to dress and they seem to like carrying them around.
5. Wooden train set
6. Duplo or lego - while I am not a fan of plastic toys with lots of little pieces these always seem to be a hit with kids and you can buy little sets to give as gifts as add ons .
7. Sandpit - a total winner
8 Swing of any kind
9. Bikes
10. Scooters

I am guessing if you have boys the list will vary a bit?


Things which I don't like,( $$$, mass marketing, not very eco friendly etc) but Georgie loves and plays with a lot so we have kept are
Polly Pockets - expensive for what they are and the clothes rip easily and most of ours are now amputees of some form as the limbs fall off. Despite this she still loves them .
Littlest pet shop toys - a bit more robust than Polly Pockets but damn expensive for little bits of plastic.


I am pleased though that some of her favourites include the Princess and the Pea set  I made and little hand made Felt red riding hood toys.



I am still debating what to get Georgie this year.  I just read this post byTricia of Little eco footprints and really like the idea of  ‘something I want, something I need, something to wear, something to read.’

1 comment:

tricia said...

Inspiring!

We're in the middle of a similar declutter of toys. So far Little Eco has been good about letting go because she understands that her favorite toys are easier to find and play with once there's less clutter,