Monday, 15 October 2012

Tova shirt

Yes I've made it.  I purchased the hard copy Wiksten Tova shirt pattern here , which cost me way too much with it being US$ and postage etc . Only to see a couple of months ago there is now a much cheaper PDF version - oh well it's a great pattern so no regrets.

The Tova pattern sat on my shelf for months mocking me, I had read a few blogs saying that it was a little tight across the chest if you had a bust and couldn't face making any alterations but finally got inspired after seeing some really nice ones on flickr. If you have been putting it off - it is actually quite easy and much better instuctions than lots of the big pattern companies . I found it really easy to fit the sleeves etc.


Not the best picture sorry - no one to take one for me.

I used a cheap Japanese lawn from Spotlight in case I had a sizing disaster ( had several of those lately) But I am really happy with the result although not in love with this fabric.

I made the shirt just a little wider across the bust by cutting the side seams a cm wider and also extended the arm width by the same but cut all other pieces in the size Medium. It is roomy but I am really happy with the fit for everyday wear - can ride a bike etc wearing it. I think if I hadn't done this it would be too tight across the back when I reach forward.

The only other modification I made was to stitch the front closing up just a couple of cm's so it doesn't fall quite so open.

I now have plans for a second one in a Nani Iro Japanese Fabric that I do love, and maybe a dress length one too??  (too many nice ones on flickr).

No comments: