Tuesday, 17 April 2012

World of knitting

Last winter I started a cardigan for Georgie , a Tiny tea leaves ( pattern here) in a charcoal grey wool. Knowing that I rarely finish a garment quickly I started a size bigger than she was - so it will fit for this winter. With cooler weather I've felt the urge to knit and suddenly I am on the 2nd sleeve - yah.I was taught to knit by my mother and here in NZ everyone I know knits seamed garments, so Tiny tea leaves top down on circular needles has been a learning experience.



 The blog world and the internet has introduced me to a whole new world of knitting - see what others are making, raverly with lots of easily accessible patterns It has also been useful choosing colours - a quick search for Tiny tea leaves on flickr and Raverly brings up pictures of every colour imaginable. It's also infiltrated my language - I find myself using words like yarn rather than wool, jumper instead of jersey. Part of me likes this the other part resists - sort of a nationalist thing as growing up in NZ it's like calling biscuits cookies - it's just feels wrong to me . Biscuits are sweet and crackers savory. Likewise in a nation of sheep farms and as a farmers daughter I knit with wool not yarn ( I don't often knit with other fibres). For my daughter I'm sure it will be different ( I already hear her use words like cookie) - she lives in a much more international world where travel and the Internet broaden her language in a way we never had as kids.

Recently I read the book "Sweater quest" by Adrienne Martini , if you are crafty whether you knit or not it was a good read. I learnt  more new knitting terminology - cutting a steek, frogging, tink. Now I'm close to finishing the tiny tea leaves - I've been on raverly looking for a pattern for myself - I have some Noro in my stash to use!

3 comments:

simona said...

now that is good thinking, starting it a size bigger! looks great already!
i also find myself using a mix of expressions, a combination of british and american english. but i'm not a native speaker, so the only reason why i lean more towards us-english is because this is where i've been living the past few years. it must be strange hearing "foreign" words out of your daughter's mouth :)

Baby By The Sea said...

Ha! I love your purist thoughts on wool. Ravelry has changed me and I'm not sure how I ever figured out what to knit before it.
Great shad of purple and can't wait to see it done.

Craftysquirrel said...

Mmm not sure if I am a purist or just set in my ways ! Cardigan almost finished just need to weave in ends and get buttons - yah.