Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Table Manners

Last week filled up with work and then an unplugged weekend at the beach made up for it.  I made these table napkins and table mat before we went away - after watching my daughter wipe her sauce covered mouth on her sleeve! Time for better table manners.

These napkins were made from a thrifted table cloth from a local op shop, I edged them using the rolled edge on the overlocker (serger ) and then appliqued  on some russian doll fabric to cover the preexisting stains on some of them.





The table mat pattern and idea is from Meg McLwees fantastic book "Growing up sew liberated" (here), I added a knife to her design and did it a little differently as used visofix and ironed on the utensils, plate etc before using the button hole stitch to do the edges.  I used some linin/hemp curtain off cuts backed with non slip fabric. I prewashed it all so hopefully there will be no shrinkage.  There has been a rush on to help set the table - so I'm going to make more. 




I had a bit of trouble doing the edge binding - I  followed a quilt binding tutorial from Ohfransson (here )which was great but I think a cut my strips a bit narrow as was really hard to get tidy corners. Any tips, links for edging welcome thanks.

3 comments:

becoming claudine said...

These are simply simply amazing!! Those placemats are adorable, and the napkins, so clever!!

barefoot mama said...

Oh my goodness....these are wonderful! really, really wonderful!

meg said...

Lovely napkins. I have the exact same op shop table cloth which I intend to do something with soon. Just a question on the button hole stitch... is that easy to figure out? I've never done a button hole but have done applique using the small zigzag. And just noticed you're in NZ too. Hi from Auckland :o)