Sunday, 14 August 2011

Kale Chips - yes really

Last time I tried Kale I wasn't impressed - I didn't rush out and buy more.  I actually like just about all green veges , even brussel sprouts but Kale just didn't do it for me. But I have seen recipes for kale chips a couple of times recently so when I saw Kale for sale yesterday I bought some and today made kale chips - and they were acutally pretty good.

I tossed a bowl of Kale leaves ( the curly type) in 1 T olive oil and about 1/2 tsp of sea salt .

Spread on baking paper on a tray and baked for 15-20 min at 150 degrees C
before baking

after
The second batch I added some lemon juice as well, these tasted good but needed a little longer to get crispy. I read on a blog somewhere that you can add lots of spices like japanese seasoning, garlic etc and can imagine these would be good.  The chips are kind of yeasty tasting so if you  like vegemite or marmite you might like them too? Whats more amazing is that my 4 yr old thought they were delicious and ate most of the first tray and wanted to eat the raw Kale I was taking the stem out of for the second batch!

3 comments:

Miko said...

Fab, fab, fab - I will have to try this. will be posting a kale salad I had success with on my foodie blog soon!

Miko said...

I tried these and they are delicious! Have linked this to my new blog (dinneratmikos@blogspot.com) and there's a kale salad there too. Thanks so much for this idea!

meg said...

Hmmm maybe I'll try them. I don't know that I'll be buying kale on purpose though :o)