Monday, 30 May 2011

Ant Brooch & Making

I had a flurry of activity in the past few evenings and have managed to make two brooches.  Now I just need to decide which one to send. I was going to wait and post pictures once swap is over but have changed my mind and so here they are and how I made them.




Here is how I made them - first using 2 layers of fabric in a small embroidery hoop (a cotton topped with organza) I sewed on the beads  (I threaded all 3 on the thread then put a stitch between each bead to hold in place) then using metallic thread did the ant's legs.  For the leaf brooch I attached a leaf shape under the organza with iron on adhesive then outlined the leaf in split stitch.  


Then I sewed all the layers around the edge together with backstitch before taking off the hoop and zigzagging around the edge with the machine.




Next I attached a couple of layers of padding to a large button, then ran a running stitch around the fabric.  Once this is pulled tight around the button I stitch back and forward across the back to pull the fabric taunt around the button.




Next step is to cut a ciruclar piece of felt to cover  the back.  I choose to cut  little  slits and push the clasp ends through this as it makes a neater finish rather than stitch the clasp directly to the felt. Lastly sew with small stitches in thread matching the felt around the edge and voila - a finshed brooch.  Depending on how much work you do in the embroidery on the front it is an easy evening of sewing.

7 comments:

inkcaravan.com said...

Wow, they look fantastic! : )
~ Alisa

flowerpress said...

Love the detail in your ants!

Lisa said...

these are very different .love them i love the details too,'hugs
xo

Naturally Carol said...

They are both amazing..the bottom one looks more delicate but I love them both!

A Christy Production said...

What a flippin awesome idea!!

A Life So Peachy said...

Hi Lisa!

My brooch arrived! Thanks so much, the little ants are very sweet (feels a bit funny writing that!).

Just about to write a blog post on it :)

Jess

Angela Osborn said...

These brooches are so cute!