Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Simple sewing for Japan

Yesterday I noticed on Stitchbird http://stitchbird.blogspot.com/ a request for donations of handmade items (clothes and toys) for children in a kindergarten in the Sendai region of Japan.  So since the Insa skirt was so quick to whip up I made another out of the scraps in my cupboard. I know not an unfinished project on my list - new ones just keep creeping in, but a good cause and  I did use up some fabric that I have had for ages!

Then this morning my daughter being 4 and very into equality said I had to make something for a boy too!  So this afternoon we choose the fabric and I made a pair of trousers.  The pattern was the Cobana pants (http://www.littlebirdpatterns.com/) and was super quick and easy.  I changed the pocket a little to make it a v but otherwise used the pattern as it was.  The size 4 fitted my daughter really well although it is quite a slim fit - good for us.

We even had time for some scootering and picked fresh blueberries and dandelions in the garden on this beautiful Autumn afternoon - life is good!

2 comments:

Stitchbird said...

These look fantastic Lisa. I have been thinking along the same lines as your daughter -something for a girl and something for a boy.

Miko said...

This is just so wonderful - thank you for your aroha and time! these will be so appreciated. I was a bit worried about filling the boxes, but I think I can rest assured! Will link this to my blog too!