Saturday, 23 April 2011

Felt Flower Brooches and other projects

In the last school holidays we spent some time making things out of felt.  One of the things we played around with was making felt brooches and I ended up with quite a few.  Most of which we gave away as gifts .


With just these 4 left I have decided to embark on an unfinished project with small beginnings - I have finally started a shop on felt (link is at top right of my blog - it will be a couple of days until it is up and running).  I'm planning to sell a few different things - some kids clothes and a few random items like christmas decorations and the cushions that  I have on my unfinished project list.  Our poor linen cupboard is over flowing due to the lovely blankets I have slowly been collecting for this purpose - so I'm sure I'll have support on this one from my husband!  So watch my blog for updates on this if you are interested.

I also thought I'd show you a few of our past felt projects for inspiration.

The fishing game was from Creative Play for your toddler by Christopher Clouder and Janni Nicol, I hand stitched the fish and attached little steel rings, fridge magnets glued to the strings works for the rods. The draw string bag to keep them in is a scrap of Amy Butler fabric.

These lovely rolled felt necklaces look like they should be edible and come from the fantastic book Green crafts for Children by Emma Hardy. They were easy and I always get comments when I wear my one which is in the bright primary colours.   This book had a number of really good projects to do with kids, while a 4 year old needs quite a lot of help , they are a positive and fun way to spend some time with your child.

Polly Pocket and Strawberry Shortcake were in desperate need for sleeping bags , handbags and a few other items (apparently!) after a family camping trip so one wet morning we came up with these.  They are great as portable and have provided hours of entertainment.  I have found felt is great to work with but watch out for the really cheap stuff as it stretches and can make it tricky to handle , one with a little wool in it seems to work better or the more expensive acrylic ones.

No comments: